Title: Public Safety Officer
VP Area: Human Resources
Department: Campus Security
Hourly Rate: $17.51
Job Summary/Basic Function:
FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY
To provide a professional safety and security role on the LSSU campus; serves as a first responder, providing routine patrolling and emergency response as needed. Supports all Public Safety and campus safety plans and programs. Coordinates with other work areas as assigned. Supports Campus Life and Athletics. Is a visible deterrent to inappropriate actions or behaviors and ensures the safety of the campus community. Reports to the Director of Public Safety. As assigned, may work under the direct guidance of other staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES ACQUIRED ON JOB
An essential job function is the acquisition and mastery of on the job knowledge, skill and ability, in order to learn, implement and follow key job functions, such as thorough knowledge and understanding of public safety and security practices, policies, and procedures. Knowledge of topics such as, but not limited to: workplace harassment, Hazardous Communication, CPR/AED/1st Aid, Bloodborne Pathogens, FEMA ICS 110, 200, 700 and 800 and HAZ-MAT awareness. Use of systems and tools for incident reporting, email, logging and other record keeping. Knowledge of LSSU structure, staff, leadership, policies, and acceptable practices. Ability to manage and de-escalate conflict.
Must possess an associate’s degree and three to five years of progressively more responsible customer service related work experience. Excellent communication skills. Demonstrated ability to meet the demands of a varied and rotating schedule. Skill and ability to respond to and manage urgent / crisis events. Ability to train and educate customers, students and staff on appropriate practices, protocols and responses to various situations, policies and programs.
Duties of this position require individual to walk, stand, sit, observe and/or drive for extended periods of time in various weather conditions; run, climb up and down stairs, and carry fire extinguishers or other security and emergency related equipment; occasionally lift and/or move up to 80 pounds; self-motivation and ability to work independent of immediate supervisor.
1. Possess and maintain a valid Michigan driver’s license.
2. Ability to work and interact with a variety of people including, but not limited to, employees, students, visitors, emergency responders and the general public.
3. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
4. Proficient in basic computer skills such as Word, Excel and Gmail with the ability to learn other programs.
5. Maintain regular attendance in accordance with departmental attendance policy.
6. Excellent customer service skills and genuine desire to assist people and provide protection.
7. Be available for various, rotating shifts and weekend assignments, in addition to accepting overtime shifts to meet the needs of the department.
8. Must successfully pass a background check for initial hire, and must pass a periodic background check to maintain employment. Must pass a periodic, random drug and alcohol screen to maintain employment.
Knowledge and experience with higher education, campus life, and/or public safety/ security. Knowledge or experience with LSSU. CPR/AED/1st Aid certification.
Must be able to spend extended periods standing, walking and climbing stairs. Must be able to maintain a vigorous working pace. Ability to hear a normal conversational voice and telephone conversation, with or without a hearing device; ability to speak and be understood under normal circumstances; ability to read and to understand written and spoken English language; ability to see with or without vision aid and to concentrate for long hours. Use of fine motor skills and dexterity to type and input computer information and for use of other business machines. Use of gross motor skills for filing, handling of paperwork and equipment. Ability to communicate with a variety of audiences; ability to understand and work with numbers and detail work.
12 hour shifts, some weekends and holidays required